MASKNE : A COMMON PROBLEM IN COVID PANDEMIC ERA02 Aug 2021
ARE YOU SUFFERING FROM ACNE SINCE THE PANDEMIC BEGAN? BEWARE!!!
In these testing times of COVID-19 Pandemic, the significance of wearing face masks throughout the day cannot be over emphasized. More so in professions which require regular contact with other people for eg. Healthcare professionals, Banks, Grocery shops etc.
This has led to a number of related skin problems. Acne(pimples) due to wearing masks for a long time is one such common problem.
HOW DOES MASK ACNE OCCUR?
Masks create a warm and humid environment underneath them which traps moisture and sebum. This can cause new breakouts or increase pre-existing pimples by blocking pores. Maskne typically occurs around the mouth and nose area but can also affect the jawline which are covered by a tight mask. Maskne can be precipitated by stress, hormonal imbalance or medications.
HOW TO PREVENT MASKNE?
- Wash your face carefully twice a day with a mild facewash and, in particular, after you take your mask off when you get home.
- Usage of skin care products which are non-comedogenic reduce the likelihood of pores getting blocked and hence reduce the chances of acne formation. In addition, avoid wearing makeup or oil-containing products under your mask as this can aggravate pimples.
- Use a cloth/breathable, clean mask. However people who have low immunity or ill should stick to surgical masks.
- Avoid washing the skin excessively since that can lead to dry skin and in turn increase acne.
- Avoid using over the counter skin care products and self-medications.
- Please consult your Dermatologist for treatment of breakouts and correct skin care practices.
You can consult Dr Revanta Saha, Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon and Cosmetologist at Dr. Derm Speciality Skin and Cosmetology Clinic in case maskne is bothering you or your family members. Dr Saha is a specialist in treating skin conditions such as acne, performing surgeries for mole, wart removal, hair transplantation and laser procedures for hair removal, botox and fillers. Patients from Indiranagar, Marathahalli, Domlur and Jeevan Bhima Nagar can easily access his clinic.